Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week’s theme is about us as writers! We are all sharing the top ten posts that display us best to our readers – the posts we’re most proud of and want to make sure our readers see.
1) I greatly enjoy disparaging fashion magazines and their photoshopping, and this post was my first big Internet rant and also my most-viewed post (thanks to some link lovin’ from Winona). In fact, the day that I posted this got the most hits Ruby Bastille has ever seen…which is kind of a bummer, since it was written in the first month of its existence.
3) I wrote up a discussion about how racist “Avatar” (the blue-cat-people movie, not Airbender) really was, and it was the first time I got into a comment fight on my own turf. It’s one of the few things I’ve written that I’m able to look back on without cringing too much.
4) 5 Action Movies That Already Had Female Leads. I got sick of the producers of “Salt” congratulating themselves for creating a female action star and came up with a list of Angelina Jolie’s predecessors. It wound up being one of my most-viewed posts and earned me a link on Stark Raving Madeleine.
6) I talked about identifying with Christianity, feminism, and the fashion world, and it got some really great thoughtful responses. I was nervous about posting it because it’s pretty soul-baring, but so far it’s been very well received.
7) I won a poetry prize and it felt pretty great!
10) One of my favorite posts actually isn’t available anymore: my post about “skinny guilt” that I wrote for Average Fantastic. I should repost that… In lieu of it, though, here’s the similarly-themed How I Learned To Stop Hating Skinny Jeans And Love My Legs.
All of this makes me realize that my blog has basically no theme. Quirky self-image with a dose of world issues? Women’s issues, racism, and funny cat pictures? How to develop self-esteem if you’re a nerd?