Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
New year, new goals! Here are mine:
1. Read 30 books. Should be pretty easy.
2. Read more Steinbeck, Wharton, and Hemingway. I could say “read more classics” but then I’d never get anything done.
3. Read more authors & characters of color. Octavia Butler, “Zoo City,” “In The Shadow of the Banyan,” “Mothership,” “Americanah,” Louise Erdrich, and (more) Isabel Allende are all on my list to eventually read. I’d like to explore several of them this year.
4. Read more classic science fiction. I finally read something not by Ray Bradbury last year (“Eye in the Sky” by Philip K. Dick), so this year I want to branch out more, preferably with more PKD, Asimov, and the copy of Gibson’s “Neuromancer” I found at a bookstore in Galveston.
5. Read the unread books I own. I think this is a goal I set every year and I still haven’t caught up. “Captain Alatriste” for sure – I think that’s the oldest unread book on my shelves.
6. Finish my trilogy for real.
7. Fix my tendonitis! I’m willing to resort to acupuncture!
8. But find ways to be in front of screens less. The tendonitis came about from too much computer usage, but I catch myself on my phone or defaulting to Netflix way more often than I should. I should set some reading goals or something…
9. More vegetables, fewer carbs.
10. Journal more. I kept a steady journal almost all the way through college but forgot after a while. It’ll help me slow down and appreciate what’s going on in my day-to-day life.
What are you hoping to accomplish this year?